fab-user

Re: [Fab-user] fab sudo() doesn't seem to work

From: odonian
Subject: Re: [Fab-user] fab sudo() doesn't seem to work
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 14:59:18 -0400

OK, now when I do sudo python setup.py install, I see a message that Fabric 0.0.8 is installed.  When I try running my "fab tail_production" command, I see a message I did not see before with 0.0.9:

Running tail_production...
Please specify host or hosts to connect to (comma-separated):  <didn't see this before, hit return>
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/fabric.py", line 1334, in main
  File "build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/fabric.py", line 1302, in _execute_commands
  File "build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/fabric.py", line 1065, in _check_fab_hosts
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'split'

...was there a syntax change between 0.0.8 and 0.0.9?  Do I need to update my local git checkout somehow?   Thanks.

On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 4:10 PM, Jeff Forcier <address@hidden> wrote:
On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 3:56 PM,  <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi Jeff - thanks for the code/tip, I tried using the branch, installed it,
> and yet I'm still seeing the same problem: seems to hang, have to hit
> CTRL-C, then belatedly see a password prompt.

Yea, this is because my main/master branch is the same as regular
Fabric -- you weren't actually using the alternate branch (see below).

> Note that when I did,
>
> git checkout execution
>
> ...per your instructions, I get an error:
>
> error: pathspec 'execution' did not match any file(s) known to git.
> Did you forget to 'git add'?

I'm terribly sorry, I gave you bad instructions! (Too used to working
on an already-set-up repository...). You needed to do 'git checkout
origin/execution' instead of just 'git checkout execution'. That
should work (it'll warn you about it not being a local branch but that
shouldn't matter).

Or you can do what Christian just said in his latest email -- that's
how I get my local setup so that I have two "local" branches instead
of just one. Since you're not planning on actually changing the code,
however, doing 'checkout origin/execution' may be quicker :)

-Jeff