fab-user

Re: [Fab-user] EC2 host keys

From: Jeff Forcier
Subject: Re: [Fab-user] EC2 host keys
Date: Sat, 9 May 2009 15:21:19 -0400

Christian raises some good points; I had been wondering the same
thing, but was willing to overlook "how things should work" in favor
of "how things apparently work, in some cases" since I tend to prefer
pragmatism over dogma.

However, I was just writing up some docs about this aspect of
Paramiko/Fabric, and realized something that should have struck me
before: the recent change means that man-in-the-middle attacks will
now *not be detected by default* and that makes me pretty
uncomfortable.

I think I will split this out into two distinct settings, because it
really is two distinct problems being solved (adding new/unknown, but
valid, hosts, versus detection of changed host keys for known hosts).
Thus, Pat would still be able to control the loading of host keys, but
the default behavior will still be honoring the security spirit of
SSH.

Thoughts?

-Jeff