fab-user

Re: [Fab-user] Re: HEAD broken?

From: Jeff Forcier
Subject: Re: [Fab-user] Re: HEAD broken?
Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 19:09:11 -0400

On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 6:18 PM, Jorge Vargas <address@hidden> wrote:
> ok it seems fabric no longer ask for the password if not send in the
> CLI string, is this a bug?

It certainly could be, the master branch has no stability guarantee
right now :) Looks like you're right, and it currently fails with
password authentication. I (and probably a number of others) use
Fabric almost entirely via SSH keys and ssh-agent, which is why this
wasn't caught earlier.

Looking at recent changes to network.py, I think this was due to a
change I made where we handle the exceptions Paramiko raises upon
authentication failure. Seems there's a bug of sorts in Paramiko that
still uses the base SSHException class for some auth failures, instead
of AuthenticationException.

IIRC the reason I changed things around on our end was that Fabric
would incorrectly prompt you for a password when in fact something
else was the problem (i.e. it would treat *any* SSHException as an
auth failure.) This, then, is the opposite issue.

I'll see if I can find a way to eliminate both problems, I suspect
this may be due to sending over an empty password, which is something
we could catch beforehand. I'll let you know if/when I get a fix out,
which will be soon as this is pretty egregious.

Thanks,
Jeff