fab-user

Re: [Fab-user] default "global" domain but not host?

From: Jeff Forcier
Subject: Re: [Fab-user] default "global" domain but not host?
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2009 18:42:48 -0400

Hi Jorge,

I personally have no need for it since my workstation (all my internal
systems, actually) make use of the DNS 'domain' and 'search' options,
so that if I refer to a non-FQDN hostname, the domain is automatically
appended for me. This is the best idea if your 'example.com' is
relatively static.

Otherwise (such as if you or another user is a freelancer/consultant
and works at multiple domains) your approach would be the best way to
implement this as things currently stand.

Long-term, it would also make sense to factor into the (vague) plans I
currently have about making host info more robust. E.g. a 'hostgroup'
object, which could then have a 'domain' attribute automatically
appended to its hosts' domain names at runtime; or simply host objects
that can have "aliases" as well as FQDNs, where we can refer
internally to the shorter names but Fabric uses the FQDNs to actually
connect.

Best,
Jeff