fab-user

Re: [Fab-user] Parmiko issues write() argument errors - unsure how to ge

From: Jeff Forcier
Subject: Re: [Fab-user] Parmiko issues write() argument errors - unsure how to get around this.
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 10:16:43 -0400

Hi Alan,

On Sun, Jul 19, 2009 at 1:14 PM, Alan Hawrylyshen<address@hidden> wrote:

> <snip>
>
> ERR [20090719-10:06:07.422] thr=1   paramiko.transport:
> m.add_string(self.username)
>
> <snip>
>
> ERR [20090719-10:06:07.423] thr=1   paramiko.transport: TypeError: write()
> argument 1 must be string or read-only character buffer, not list
>
> <snip>
>
> env.user = [ 'deploy' ]

I think that's your problem -- env.user should be a string and not a
list, and indeed, this is what paramiko is complaining about :)

env.hosts *should* be a list, so you're correct there, but env.user is
intended to be a single username. I'm hopeful that making that one
change will get things working correctly for you.

It's a little frustrating that the error is comparatively opaque, it
took me a couple read-throughs for the bits I highlighted above to
click together. I'm not usually a fan of premature type-checking, but
I'll make a note of this in case I think it's worth throwing a line or
two in Fabric to look for this situation :)

Let me know if that was it!

Best,
Jeff