fab-user

Re: [Fab-user] I bet it would be pretty to do transaction semantics but

From: Jeff Forcier
Subject: Re: [Fab-user] I bet it would be pretty to do transaction semantics but it sure would be nice
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 07:43:30 -0400

On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 2:56 AM, Christian Vest
Hansen<address@hidden> wrote:
> My tasks are written such that the commands I execute on the servers
> are "effectively idempotent" to the greatest extent possible, so I can
> rerun them if I need to.

This is what I do as well.

> In some cases I might decide to catch the
> SystemExit exception that utils.abort raises, even though it's a
> butt-ugly practice.

Is that butt-ugly because it raises SystemExit or is it something
else? :) At one point I started using a custom exception class but
there didn't seem to be much of a point to it in that particular
situation (though I expect to revisit that decision when I get around
to making sure Fabric is fully library-friendly.)

> Jeff, have you heard about the condition system in Common Lisp?

I haven't, no, my only Lisp experience was a semester of Scheme about
eight years ago and I don't recall hearing about that. I can google
it, or you can throw me a link or two if you want.

-Jeff