fab-user

Re: [Fab-user] get operation is mangling file names

From: Jeff Forcier
Subject: Re: [Fab-user] get operation is mangling file names
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 13:26:38 -0400

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 1:20 PM, Christian Vest
Hansen<address@hidden> wrote:
> This is by design, actually. If you have multiple hosts and the file
> you want to get is not exactly the same on very host, then 'get' end
> up picking one of them.

Put another way, if you have >1 host and get() did *not* use this
hostname suffix approach, you would end up with only one copy of the
file, the one from the last host in the list, because each subsequent
iteration would overwrite the previous file.

> If you are using fabric 0.1.1, then 'get' will always do name
> mangling, but I think Jeff changed that behavior at some point (for
> the 0.9'ish versions) so that name mangling only happens when there is
> more than one host.

This is correct -- so if Erik's given snippet is what he's actually
using, and there's only one host involved, there may be a bug in that
new behavior. Let me know!

Either way, post-0.9 I'd be open for modifying get() to be more
flexible, such as storing downloaded files in per-host directories or
something like that (as an option.) In general, I hope to overhaul the
host mechanisms so that complex scripts that do a lot of file transfer
and state-keeping, have an easier time keeping per-host information
distinct -- and that would definitely involve get().

Best,
Jeff