fab-user

Re: [Fab-user] Any interest in extension to support getting things from

From: Steve Steiner (listsin)
Subject: Re: [Fab-user] Any interest in extension to support getting things from source control?
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2009 09:30:18 -0400

On Oct 6, 2009, at 10:58 PM, Jeremy Katz wrote:

While it's not that hard to just run the commands for source control
systems from within a fabfile, is there any interest in having some
actual support for pulling files from source control?  I'm looking at
using fabric for some deployment tasks as I'd rather not introduce
ruby into our environment for capistrano; not to mention some of the
rails-isms of capistrano seem to make it less than ideal for my
purposes.

Since Fabric lets you write your own commands, I'm not sure what having "actual support" would mean...

I think "pulling files from source control" is a slippery slope since it would mean incorporating something like http://pypi.python.org/pypi/uvc/0.3 .

I think this type of thing is best left out of a product like Fabric or, next thing you know, it'll sprout a mail reader.