fab-user

Re: [Fab-user] Why is the version that's available on pypi only at 0.1.1

From: Heikki Toivonen
Subject: Re: [Fab-user] Why is the version that's available on pypi only at 0.1.1?
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 10:58:46 -0700

Jeff Forcier wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 1:32 PM, Heikki Toivonen
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> It seems like the last version before current (1.7.5) that is available
>> on PyPI is 1.7.2 (http://pypi.python.org/pypi/paramiko/1.7.2). So maybe
>> you could write the dependency something like:
>>
>> "Paramiko >= 1.7.2, != 1.7.5"
>
> Interesting, how'd you find that, just modifying the URL? I tried
> every search I could find on there and only ever found 1.7.5.

Short story: just tried older release numbers on the URL.

Long story:

A while back I was interested in finding how popular Python packages
were
(http://www.heikkitoivonen.net/blog/2008/10/23/python-package-popularity-contest/).
I noticed that when I install packages with easy_install, it uses a
simple version of PyPI to find and parse stuff
(http://pypi.python.org/simple/). If you go to
http://pypi.python.org/simple/paramiko/ you can actually confirm that
there is 1.7.5 and 1.7.2 but nothing in between. And lots of older releases.

--
  Heikki Toivonen