fab-user

Re: [Fab-user] run('git pull') fails - ssh/git issues

From: Jeff Forcier
Subject: Re: [Fab-user] run('git pull') fails - ssh/git issues
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 11:49:40 -0400

On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 11:24 AM, Aljosa Mohorovic
<address@hidden> wrote:

> i think this happens because ssh-agent is not available for fabric ssh
> session so git fails because it can't authenticate when pulling.

yup. paramiko can't do ssh agent forwarding, which sucks and will
hopefully be remedied at some point, either by them or us.

See also http://code.fabfile.org/issues/show/72

> any tips on how i could resolve this? maybe i'm missing something obvious?

The other part of the puzzle is that Fab can only currently detect
sudo prompts, so when git falls back to its password prompt, things
fall down. So there's no easy way to use Git with Fabric right now
other than using anonymous Git instead of Git-over-SSH (git:// vs
git@).

See also http://code.fabfile.org/issues/show/7

This is a pain point for me too so hopefully we'll have one or both
issues worked out for 0.9.x or 1.0 at the latest.

-Jeff