fab-user

[Fab-user] Thanksgiving break & status update

From: Jeff Forcier
Subject: [Fab-user] Thanksgiving break & status update
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 16:00:21 -0500

Hi all,

An FYI, I'll be offline again for a while, this time on a planned
vacation for the US Thanksgiving holiday and then a trip afterwards
(saved up my vacation days at my day job to take an extra week off.)

So, I'll be largely or entirely out of touch from tomorrow through
December 5th. Hopefully you all will be able to continue helping out
new folks while I'm gone! :)

In terms of a status update, there are two main tasks I plan to tackle
when I return so I can release 0.9.1, ideally before the end of the
year:

1. Backport compatible features from master to the 0.9 branch.

I want the currently semi-large feature gap between those two versions
to shrink a bit so I don't feel pressured to push 1.0 out too soon
after that super long 0.9 wait. (This will mean that the 0.9.x
releases will have both fixes and new features, but after 1.0 I'll go
back to tertiary releases being mostly bugfixes.)

Whether this is done all for 0.9.1 or if I do some now and the rest
for 0.9.2, remains to be seen.

2. Apply some of the smaller/easier bugfixes and other patches from
Redmine/mailing-list/Github users.

I've let some stuff, especially Github pull requests, languish for
some time while I worked on getting 0.9 out the door. Now I can
finally clear out that queue and the others, and get back on track.
Again, it's not clear whether I'll do all of this for 0.9.1 or split
it between a few releases, but everything will at least be looked at,
assigned a Redmine ticket and slated for a specific release.

Hope everyone who celebrates it has a good Thanksgiving and I'll be
back here and on IRC/Twitter in December :)

Best,
Jeff

P.S. Yea, I really need to get a blog going. (A personal one too.)
That's unofficially project #3 :)

--
Jeff Forcier
Unix sysadmin; Python/Ruby developer