fab-user

Re: [Fab-user] fabric, invoke - scaling up to support 100 hosts & SSH ke

From: Jeff Forcier
Subject: Re: [Fab-user] fabric, invoke - scaling up to support 100 hosts & SSH keys ?
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2018 16:24:57 -0700

Hi Doug,

If you've got a working Fabric 1 setup, feel free to continue using that for another few months or so and just check in on our changelog periodically to see what features have been newly ported over. As-is, the 2.x line is still more of a technology/API preview than a full "port all the way over" 100% rework.

That said, I do have some questions/answers!

- Paramiko-based kit in general should absolutely scale up to 100+ hosts/keys, e.g. Fabric 1 has been proven to work with thousands of hosts or more.
- Fabric 2 is still fleshing out 'blessed'/default modes of configuring your target hosts and their parameters, as well as kicking the tires of the default thread-based concurrency on offer - but if you create your own Connection objects from some arbitrary data structures of your own, they *ought* to already scale up to a large number of hosts.
- Can you post a sanitized copy of your SSH config file & details on what exactly is "not working"? _Most_ of what v1 supported in SSH config files (which was a relatively small % of total ssh_config capability, granted) should already be supported in v2, as long as you're not explicitly disabling SSH config loading.
- In terms of config files, we support YAML, JSON or Python modules and they're all considered equal in terms of support (aside from some minor per-format issues, such as Python import shenanigans for .py files).
  - It's 100% likely that anything we settle on for a default store-your-host-data scheme will be phrased generically and will support all of those formats too.
  - We're also going to add more formats too, eg there's an open ticket for adding TOML.
- The dev environment/IDE shouldn't matter too much; the primary shell env vars that Fabric/Invoke look at are ones prefixed with INVOKE_xxx or FABRIC_xxx.

Best,
Jeff