fenfire-dev

[Fenfire-dev] [vos-d] Mozilla-in-CS screenshots (fwd) + 3d UI visions

From: Alatalo Toni
Subject: [Fenfire-dev] [vos-d] Mozilla-in-CS screenshots (fwd) + 3d UI visions
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 11:30:27 +0300 (EEST)

Greetings,

had forgotten to mention this, 'cause was trying to elaborate some
thinking about the issues, but recalled now when was talking with Tuomas
about 2D vs. 3D interfaces -- in a way, this could be seen as a warning
example of how impractical 'default' 3d renderings of articles/pages may
be. OTOH Tuomas thought that the code (that they are have also pushed up
the Mozilla tree) for rendering with Gecko to OpenGL textures could well
be usable within Fenfire too. Actually, I mentioned (and showed
screenshots of) FenPDF to these guys (#vos on freenode) when they were
planning it, and they were tempted to 'steal' the PDF rendering code :)

Just now, this lead developer has also posted about his visions re: 3d
interfaces, see
http://www.interreality.org/pipermail/vos-d/2003-October/000398.html .
I only glimpsed it so far, will try to find the time to comment. Am
otherwise interested in their project, 'cause need to find tech for making
on-line worlds with real-time (like in network games) interaction (for
http://studio.kyperjokki.fi/FirstAndLast/ , discussion about implementing
with VOS at http://studio.kyperjokki.fi/engine/InterReality). Of course,
there could be also an application (or -tude?-o) that uses both libvob and
vos (vob vor visualisation, vos for communicating/synchronizing over the
net and managing interactions), if/as libvob is seen better for (non-game)
interfaces than e.g. crystal space and vos-like connecting is wanted.

~Toni

---------- Forwarded message ---------- Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 16:13:37
-0400 (EDT) From: Peter Amstutz <address@hidden> Reply-To: VOS
Discussion <address@hidden> To: address@hidden Subject: