fenfire-dev

[Fenfire-dev] vacation

From: Matti Katila
Subject: [Fenfire-dev] vacation
Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 22:29:00 +0300 (EEST)

Hi,

I have a long vacation and I like to start thinking how to develop Fenfire
further since I have lot's of free time :)

Some thoughs about the projects:
callgl:
  - I hope I don't need to touch it ;)
libvob:
  - besides of the activate http://himalia.it.jyu.fi/ffdoc/
    libvob/javadoc/org/nongnu/libvob/VobCoorder.html#activate(int)
    there should be a way to say that here is a rectangular and if the
    getCSAt is called and it's not in this rectangular, none of the child
    coordinates should be consider to have the activation.

    This is needed because finding a coordinate system is a linear
    operation and by limiting the finding only to those that may
    be valid is a possible way to speed the alghorithm.

  - finish recursive vobscenes (it's needed because also longhorn has
    those ;)

  - i would like to design a flexible "windowing" system inside libvob so
    that we may use different window managers to handle the view. I shall
    remaind of the goal of building a desktop system. I think it means
    that we should not depend to other programs in the system at some
    point :) (before they adopt it =)

  - learn Tuomas' code for c++ side would be a good start..

alph:
  - not much currently

storm:
  - I think storm is the one thing where my and Benja's thoughs differ.
     Benja would like to have:
       - html stuff
       - p2p bamboo network

     I think that:
       - html is very broken thing. no one should be encouraged to use it ;)
       - besides of this internet wide bamboo network there should be
         small and secured dht rings between friends and colleges.
         These small nets should be transparent as possible to the user.
       -
     For one thing, webdav, we have consensus :)

  - Having RDF graphs in the storm blocks but not as references but
    actual graphs that can be used with fenfire system.
  - reverse indexing these graphs and allowing to make links between
    those in the fenfire system.

loom:
  - I think loom's current vanishing view has come at the end of it's
    life. It does not work with multilining pretty well and that's why...

fenfire:
  - ...loom and fenfire should be merged. Merging should be done with good
    design and some new consepts can be added.
  - I still prefer of the goal and would like to have in fenfire:
      - social life: chat, emails
      - planning: mindmaps, canvas of annotations and such, etc.
      - writing: xanalogically
  - different views and ways to connect anything to anything.

Are there more things?

   -Matti