fle3-dev

[Fle3-dev] Course folder user story

From: Tarmo Toikkanen
Subject: [Fle3-dev] Course folder user story
Date: Fri May 17 07:03:01 2002

I read through the user story on group folders at http://flea.uiah.fi:8080/fle3docs/008v2_course_folder.html and won't start implementation until the following issues are resolved.

Btw, the mime-type is application/octetstream, again. Someone with manager access to flea might want to fix that.

These things need clarification:
A. What happens to the course folder links in users' webtops when the user is removed from the course? Do we need to automatically create the course folder link? B. What happens when a new user is added to an existing course? Do we remove the link automatically?

On the questions presented in the user story:

1. If you put stuff inside the course folder which needs to be archived/removed when the course is archived/removed, what happens to your own stuff?

I don't think this is a problem. The course folder contains material for the course, which you've "published". If you don't keep your own copy, then tough luck. Surf over to the library to get access to that material.

2. Is it bad, that you lose control of your own Webtop (you can t move/delete
links to the course folders)?

Yes, it is. How about if we allow the link to be (re)moved, but supply a button in the course page, that can be used in the creation of a new link? Actually, we could use the standard "Make link on webtop" button we use on Notes, except if the user doesn't have a link anywhere to the course folder, this won't work. This would also solve the issues A and B I raised above.

3. What if there are more than X number of courses all with their own course folder on a webtop? Will this get messy? Can all course folders then be created
inside a single folder (e.g.  Course folders ).

This is another problem. If we allow the links to be moved, then this is not an issue. However, allowing link movement will make the automatic link creation and removal (issues A and B) more complex.

What if we just allow the users to do what they want with the course folder links? We'll then have to give them the possibility to create that link again if they remove it. We could automatically create and remove the links whenever the user gets added to or removed from a course.

This user story needs these problems settled before any implementation work begins.

--
Tarmo Toikkanen
http://www.iki.fi/tarmo/