fle3-dev

Re: [Fle3-dev] FLE3 and exams

From: Teemu Leinonen
Subject: Re: [Fle3-dev] FLE3 and exams
Date: Tue Aug 6 14:41:01 2002

Hello,

I think it's a great idea to build or integrate learning/student evaluation tools to Fle3.

Like Lauri already wrote about the CSCL approach in the Fle3, I think it is a real challenge to make the evaluation tool a such that it will support the pedagogical ideas behind the system. The QSurvey tool with the possibility to do traditional examinations (multiple-choice and essays) is probably not suitable for the pedagogical model of progressive inquiry.

We have also try to avoid to include all possible tools to Fle3, because we think that all extra tools also shape the way it will be used. E.g. it is no an accident that the shared folder is a little hard to find in the Knowledge Building and Jamming. We try to keep Fle3 users focused on creation and development of knowledge (i.e. knowledge artefacts).

So, if there is an student evaluation tool available, even if it is optional and took in use only if teacher is willing to use it, I am afraid that it will be used by teachers and it will guide students learning - they start to prepare for the test only an do not anymore build knowledge.

However, Fle3 is Open Source, and if someone builds learning/student evaluation tool to Fle3 we are very happy to get the patches and evaluate them.

Cheers,

        - Teemu

Lauri Ojansivu wrote:
how hard it would be to integrate some kind of exam product to FLE3, something like QSurvey http://www.zope.org/Members/jwashin/Survey? And, because FLE3 already has shared folders, how about making shared exam folder where teacher could upload exam text and files, and students could save answers to folder that only teacher could see?

I'm thinking about following:
1) Teacher creates exam with QSurvey, and maybe adds points/question and sample answers that only teacher could see. Question types could be essay, multiple selection, and others that are in programs like Hot Potatoes 2) Teacher attachs files (rtf/pdf/xls/cpp/cad drawing/ whatever) that are needed for exam
3) Teacher adds time when exam will be available to students
4) Students answer to exam questions, uploads files
5) Teacher gets multiple choise type question points counted automatically, grades essay/uploaded file based answers 6) When Teacher has graded questions (and maybe added feedback), he/she gets group average and publishes results to students.

I know that FLE3 is more to CSCL type learning, but with this added it could be more useful to traditional teaching too. What do you think? Is there somehing like this already planned? Is there this kind of learning tools available somewhere else?
Teemu Leinonen
http://www.uiah.fi/~tleinone/
Office: + 358 9 756 30 296
GSM: +358 50 351 6796