Re: [fluid-dev] Does Fluidsynth implement the necessary functionality fo

From: Josh Green
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Does Fluidsynth implement the necessary functionality for a tracker?
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 21:42:32 +0000

Hello Miguel,

The answers to your questions are all yes.  The one application I know
of which uses all these features is Swami.  It does its own instrument
management (the SoundFont loader API of FluidSynth allows this), so
instruments are loaded via callbacks.  The interface is abstract enough,
where other instrument formats can be synthesized (although it is in a
SoundFont centric fashion).  Swami supports to some extent DLS and
GigaSampler at this point for example (development version).

If you are interested in the code for the FluidSynth plugin, you can
find it here:
http://swami.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/swami/trunk/swami/src/plugins/

The wavetbl_fluidsynth.c file is the interesting bits.

The development plugin underwent some clean up, but not sure if it would
be any more useful then the code in the link above.  But:

http://swami.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/swami/branches/swami-1-0/swami/src/plugins/

Perhaps of interest to you would be Swami itself (or libInstPatch for
which it is based on), while it is also a loadable library and has a
python binding.  Its still in development, but libInstPatch is rather
useful at this point for doing instrument editing with Python.  The
current plans are to provide an interface to FluidSynth for synthesizing
other formats.  Regardless of what you choose, do let me know if you
have any questions in this regard, since it is one area I am actually
familiar with in regards to FluidSynth.

Best regards,
        Josh Green