Re: [fluid-dev] A MIDI file that causes fluidsynth to segfault

From: Dave Serls
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] A MIDI file that causes fluidsynth to segfault
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 13:04:56 -0700

On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 11:17:06 -0800
Ken Restivo <address@hidden> wrote:

> Attached is a MIDI file that causes fluidsynth to segfault on my machine
> (Core Duo 1.66Ghz 2GM RAM, linux 2.8.19-rt15), jackd 102.20-1, fluidsynth
> 1.0.8.2006.12.24-2-SVN)
>
> This is with no softsynths running except one fluidsynth instance, using the
> Steinway Grand soundfont (the 80MB one with all the crossfades). No other
> JACk apps running except qjackctl, and the only other ALSA app being
> arecordmidi-- that's it.
>
> bFreeBoB ERR: Xrun on connection 1
> cannot read event response from client [piano] (Connection reset by peer)
> subgraph starting at qjackctl-3515 timed out (subgraph_wait_fd=12, status =
> 0, state = Finished)
> subgraph starting at qjackctl-3515 timed out (subgraph_wait_fd=12, status =
> 0, state = Finished)
> LibFreeBoB ERR: SLAVE XMT : Buffer underrun! 128 (0 / 224) (0 / 0 )
> LibFreeBoB ERR: Xrun on connection 1
> subgraph starting at qjackctl-3515 timed out (subgraph_wait_fd=12, status =
> 0, state = Finished)
> cannot read event response from client [piano] (Connection reset by peer)
>
> Yeah, I can understand an Xrun maybe, at the point where this happens the CPU
> usage is getting pretty high, like around 70% or so. But the entire
> fluidsynth losing control of its bladder and quitting? Seems extreme to me.
> The docs for the soundfont (from 2001) state that the font might give some
> crackles "on a slow CPU", but my current CPU would is faster than anything
> that was commercially available in 2001.
>
> The noodling trailing off at the end of the file is me going, hello?, wait a
> minute, why is there no sound coming out?
>
> Makes me a sad panda.
wst25fstein.sf2
   Played successfully here via aplaymidi -> fluidsynth with wst25fstein.sf2
(some Steinway knockoff), with a few crackles.
   Played first with the FluidGM percussive organ and it went into 'undead'
mode after I killed the aplaymidi process.
   Just kept on looping unitl I killed fluidsynth.

> -ken

*   Dave Serls                                 Littleton, CO, USA      *
*   dashs.denver.co.us                         dashs.com               *