Re: [fluid-dev] Sequencer with sample timer support

From: David Henningsson
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Sequencer with sample timer support
Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 13:51:33 +0200

address@hidden skrev:
> I guess I was thinking that the timer selection was something
> transparent, that even older code which uses new_fluid_sequencer() could
> use.  Reading your documentation for new_fluid_sequencer2() though, it
> sounds like there are some fundamental differences in usage, that the
> caller needs to be aware of (calling fluid_sequencer_process or not), so
> it does seem to make sense to have a new function.
>
> One option might be to continue to just have one new_fluid_sequencer()
> but add additional functions like fluid_sequencer_set_system_timer
> (sequencer, 0/1) for setting options, with defaults being as they are
> now for backwards compatibility.

That makes sense, but there is one problem. The old version starts the
system timer inside new_fluid_sequencer. For the "new" usage this is not
acceptable, as it will be non-predictable - there is no guarantee that
this timer won't fire before we have the turn it off.

That said, I think it should be possible to switch timer source on the
fly (via a call to fluid_sequencer_set_system_timer, as you suggest),
but it requires some coding and that's why I took the easy way out in
this case. One could argue that it would be an improvement to the system
timer solution to be able to turn it on and off, so it should probably
be done.

Btw, if we're using sample timers, the sample timer calls
fluid_sequencer_process. Calling fluid_sequencer_process manually is
only if you're using it without the synth. Perhaps this is not obvious,
which means the documentation of this function should be improved?

> Keep up the great work! :)

You too! :)

// David