Re: [fluid-dev] Sostenuto CC 66

From: josh
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Sostenuto CC 66
Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 04:55:13 -0400

Quoting "S. Christian Collins" <address@hidden>:

I noticed that the Sostenuto pedal (CC 66) doesn't seem to be
implemented in FluidSynth, unless I'm missing something.  I think this
feature should definitely be implemented at some point.  Do you all
agree?

-~Chris

Hello Chris,

Indeed the SoundFont specification lists Sostenuto on the list of controllers which are expected to behave as defined by the MIDI standard and it doesn't appear to be implemented currently with FluidSynth. The Soft Pedal Switch is also on that list and not implemented.

For reference (wasn't really familiar with this myself):

The Sostenuto pedal switch affects only active voices when it is pressed, which sustain until it is released. The Sustain switch does not affect these voices and additional note events are not affected by the Sostenuto.

The soft pedal switch is supposed to make the affected instrument softer via initial attenuation and filter cutoff parameters in a "pre-defined manner", whatever that means.

One thing I noticed in the spec, which I was not aware of before, is that these controllers are not supposed to be usable as modulator sources.

I think these should definitely be implemented.  I've added a ticket for each:
http://fluidsynth.resonance.org/trac/ticket/47
http://fluidsynth.resonance.org/trac/ticket/48

Sostenuto is perhaps a little more complex to implement since all voices need to be looped over and those which are active tagged as Sostenuto. Should probably wait until mutex issues are cleared up. In fact, I think that is the highest priority for the moment.

Thanks for pointing this out.  Cheers!

Josh