[fluid-dev] Re: What is the best way start fluidsynth with zero/low late

From: jimmy
Subject: [fluid-dev] Re: What is the best way start fluidsynth with zero/low latency?
Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 06:38:21 -0700 (PDT)

> Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 15:19:26 -0500
> From: "S. Christian Collins" <address@hidden>
>
> Regarding the rt kernel, it seems that the newer default
> Linux kernels
> seem to handle realtime audio quite well even without using
> a rt
> kernel.  I stopped using the rt kernel in Kubuntu
> 9.04, because the
> standard kernel seems to perform just as well, but without
> the
> instability the rt kernel brings.  Does anybody else
> have a similar
> experience?
>
> -~Chris

Re: What is the best way start fluidsynth with zero/low latency?

The fastest way and shortest answer is to install Linux from a music (MIDI)
oriented liveCD.  Read below for more info.

---

The last 5-6 Linux kernel releases had high-resolution timer features that will
work with for MIDI low latency.  The last 2-3 kernel releases had merged in the
realtime patch.  But recently there is a new kernel realtime patch started
again by the same people.  Started a while back when I compiled my own kernel,
I only needed the high-resolution timer configuration, I don't use the realtime
kernel patch, and high-resolution timer works fine for MIDI low latency.

If I am not mistaken, using Alsa directly normally only alow one app to use the
sound card at any time.  Using Jack, it works as a virtual mixer of sort for
all jack-enabled apps.

Midi low latency involves configurations of various hardware, linux kernel, and
softwares that are specific to real-time response for midi events.  It can be
overwhelming for new users.  I highly recommend starting with a music/MIDI
oriented Linux liveCD distro.  LiveCD allows people to just boot directly from
the CD/DVD and it takes care of auto configuration.  These music oriented
liveCD already has either realtime or high resolution timer kernel
preconfigured and will launch jackd preconfigured in their application menu.

If pianobooster.sourceforge.net is somewhat stable (usable) and don't have
licencing problems, you may want to lobby the various music oriented liveCD
distro to include PianoBooster on their CD.  Some of those liveCD's I can
remember right now are Musix, PureDyne, 64 Studio.  Although, the latest Musix
beta is now half of a DVD so it should have plenty of room.

These 3 liveCD are Debian compatible (can use Debian repositories directly) and
can be installed onto hard drive if the users want to install more apps, or
tweaks.  I haven't tried their recent releases, but some liveCD's running
directly from the CD/DVD may allow for saving your configurations on to USB, or
hard drive and use such configuration in subsequence boot from CD/DVD.  By the
way, Ubuntu is Debian derrived (not directly compatible) and uses its own
repositories.

------

This fluidsynth web page currently (2009-05) has some info for using Alsa
driver directly.

   http://fluidsynth.resonance.org/trac/wiki/LowLatency

These links have info on kernel configuration, IRQ interrupt priorities, and
jackd info.

http://sarigama.namaste.jp/micro/la.txt

http://www.rosegardenmusic.com/wiki/low-latency_kernels

http://code.goto10.org/projects/puredyne/wiki/KernelAndSystemOptimization