Re: [fluid-dev] Soundfont licensing

From: S. Christian Collins
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Soundfont licensing
Date: Wed, 02 Sep 2009 18:51:50 -0500

Here's the response I got from E-MU regarding the matter:
You are free to use the Creative and E-MU sounds/samples in any music works that you create and sell. What you can not do is sell or distribute any Creative and/or E-MU sounds/samples. Regardless of the preset or programing of how the sample/sound has been modified, if it is a raw sound/sample that was created or distributed by Creative or E-MU, you can not sell it or distribute it. Creative and E-MU do spot check audits from time to time to identify proprietary sounds/sample from those who sell such product.
Hmmm... I might not be able to release GeneralUser GS under an open license in this case, and I really don't have the time to go through and recreate the affected instruments.

-~Chris