Re: [fluid-dev] default synth gain param...

From: S. Christian Collins
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] default synth gain param...
Date: Thu, 03 Sep 2009 17:55:42 -0500

For my composing, I use Qsynth at 55% gain... seems to be the level I've arrived at after having to reduce it again and again when the sound would get too loud and clip.  Yeah, I wouldn't recommend 100%; Kevin's description of soiled pants isn't an exaggeration, heehee.

-~Chris

Kevin Fishburne wrote:
>From my usage of the executable, values anywhere but in the lower range end up being loud as hell. I think it's awesome that it can pump out that much sound if necessary, but it's incredibly loud compared with other system sounds (in Ubuntu anyway). In my app I set the default to 0.25 and the max at 1.0, if only to avoid having people soil their pants after moving the gain slider all the way up while wailing on their keyboard.

Kevin Fishburne
Eight Virtues
www:
e-mail:
phone:
 http://sales.eightvirtues.com
 address@hidden
 (770) 853-6271

Stephen Hazel wrote:
I could be wrong, but isn't the default synth gain 0.2?
Doesn't that make all the sound come out at 1/5 the usual volume?

Shouldn't it default to 1.0 or something?

Thanks :)

...Steve