[fluid-dev] License question

From: S. Christian Collins
Subject: [fluid-dev] License question
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 21:52:07 -0600

I have a licensing question about FluidSynth. Let's say I'm creating a closed-source DAW, and I want to include a VSTi SoundFont synth based on FluidSynth. If I create the VSTi synth as a separate, GPL-licensed plugin with available source code, can I sell the DAW software with the FluidSynth VSTi bundled?

I checked the GNU FAQ, which says the following:

Q: Can I release a non-free program that's designed to load a GPL-covered plug-in?

A: It depends on how the program invokes its plug-ins. For instance, if the program uses only simple fork and exec to invoke and communicate with plug-ins, then the plug-ins are separate programs, so the license of the plug-in makes no requirements about the main program.

If the program dynamically links plug-ins, and they make function calls to each other and share data structures, we believe they form a single program, which must be treated as an extension of both the main program and the plug-ins. In order to use the GPL-covered plug-ins, the main program must be released under the GPL or a GPL-compatible free software license, and that the terms of the GPL must be followed when the main program is distributed for use with these plug-ins.

If the program dynamically links plug-ins, but the communication between them is limited to invoking the ‘main’ function of the plug-in with some options and waiting for it to return, that is a borderline case.

Using shared memory to communicate with complex data structures is pretty much equivalent to dynamic linking.

I believe this would cover my proposed scenario, but I want to be sure.

Thanks-in-advance,
-~Chris