[fluid-dev] problems with fluidsynth 1.1.6 on a raspberry pi

From: Jan Newmarch
Subject: [fluid-dev] problems with fluidsynth 1.1.6 on a raspberry pi
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2012 21:25:27 +1100

Recently there was a thread about 1.1.5 on an RPi. I'm picking that up
for 1.1.6. I have a Model B RPi with 512M RAM. I have the Raspbian hard
float image installed rather than the Debian soft float (which behaves
worse). I have applied the security fixes suggested by Aere Greenway.
I'm running it with period set by -z 4096 as suggested by David
Henningsson. I'm observing CPU usage by running top in a separate
window:

fluidsynth -a alsa -l -z 4096 /usr/share/sounds/sf2/FluidR3_GM.sf2 \
           youvemad.kar

Some simple MIDI files play okay. Others hit CPU usage between 40-99%,
varying throughout the song. At 99% CPU the sound is very broken up, too
bad to be really playable.

It has been suggested that smaller sound fonts will help. What smaller
sound fonts are there?

I can do more experiments if desired.

Jan
--
Dr Jan Newmarch
Head of ICT and Commerce (Higher Education)

P 61 3 9286 9971
M +61 4 0117 0509
F 61 3 9286 9100
W www.boxhill.edu.au