Re: [fluid-dev] Feature Request: Load everything into RAM to make progra

From: Nils Gey
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Feature Request: Load everything into RAM to make program changes instant
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2013 17:54:03 +0100

On Tue, 19 Mar 2013 14:14:47 +0100
David Henningsson <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 03/19/2013 01:55 PM, Nils Gey wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > could you please add a running or loading mode to load an sf2 completely
> > into memory?
> > The goal is that program changes (and bank?) get rid of the load hiccups
> > and the new sound is available in an instant.
>
> It already is loaded completely into memory. It tries to lock it too, so
> it does not get swapped out.
> (If you get the message "Failed to pin sample data to RAM, swapping is
> possible" warning, you know it failed.)
>
> Any hiccups you might get would be related to CPU bound activities
> happening at program/bank changes, but these should not cause underruns
> if priorities are set right; possibly delays to midi events coming after.
>
> Is this Windows or Linux, btw? I don't know the Windows parts very well.
>
> // David

Linux.

Then maybe it is a different issue? Does fluidsynth make sure that program
changes (and CCs etc.) which happen on the same tick/time value or are received
at the same time (via the lib) as note ons always come first?

My problem is that if I send a program change and the first note at the same
time the first note plays back with the old program, either program 0 on
program start or if fluidsynth kept running in between the current channel
program.

Nils