Re: [fluid-dev] Is it possible to immigrate FluidSynth to a DSP(ADSP21xx

From: David Henningsson
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Is it possible to immigrate FluidSynth to a DSP(ADSP21xxx) or an CORTEX-M4 CPU? (Stan Zhang)
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2013 07:31:19 +0100

On 03/22/2013 02:07 AM, *simple* wrote:
Aere,
This is my first reply to the mailing list. I am not sure if there is
any format not good.
Thanks for your suggestion. The sound font I am going to use is copied
from Creative's sound card installation CD: CT4MGM.SF2 (4M bytes). The
quality should be OK for me. But I am not sure if this is a free sound
font. Do you have any idea on this?

First, FluidSynth itself and its copyright holders have no legal problem with you using free or non-free soundfonts.

Second, it's very likely that Creative's soundfonts are not legally redistributable.

So for the CT4MGM.SF2 file - FluidSynth won't mind, but Creative probably will.

Third, if you would like to make your changes to FluidSynth (e g the ASM optimisations you wrote about) available under the LGPL license, just as the rest of FluidSynth, that would be appreciated and recommended. Otherwise you might get in trouble if you start redistributing your modified version of FluidSynth.

(And as usual, I'm not a lawyer, so this is not legal advice.)

// David