Re: [fluid-dev] I removed GLIB dependency from my build.

From: Tom M.
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] I removed GLIB dependency from my build.
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2017 10:19:18 +0200

TinyCThread looks good. Even though they only support Win32 and Pthreads they implement the C11 API. So we could move to C11:

#ifdef __STDC_NO_ATOMICS__
  #error "Compiler has no C11 atomics"
#endif

#ifdef __STDC_NO_THREADS__
  #include <tinycthread.h>
#else
  #include <threads.h>
#endif

This however might be the end of OS/2 support. Compiling on Win32 only with MinGW or CygWin. Would this really make the Windows users life easier as originally intended by the glib removal?

Tom

FWIW I had been working on removing glib two years ago or a bit less
(dang, was it really that long ago?), as this is basically why I
stopped when I was almost done: it really wasn't maintainable.

Realistically, I do think there's literally no major alternative. I
mean, for atomics there's libatomic_ops:

https://github.com/ivmai/libatomic_ops

which was built for and is still used by the Boehm GC. If Windows is
the only barrier to C11 adoption, maybe TinyCThread could fill in for
the mean time? https://tinycthread.github.io/

On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 12:25 PM, Tom M. <address@hidden> wrote:
> Without having seen your changes, you have probably done something like what
> existed before glib:
> https://github.com/FluidSynth/fluidsynth/blob/b49458e817ed09aedd948a6ea1831965373adc80/fluidsynth/src/fluid_sys.h#L142
>
> This is not an option because it's unmaintainable. See the related
> discussion here for possible solutions:
> http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/fluid-dev/2017-09/msg00031.html
>

> Tom

>> Hello,
>> as I wrote in the subject, I worked a bit on Fluidsynth and I made a
>> version that works fine without external dependencies. I compiled it on the
>> ancient VisualStudio 6.0 and my version currentl runs on Windows.
>> However, it should not be difficult to include a new driver for adding
>> again support to GLIB at compile time or to add support for other platforms,
>> especially direct pthreads support.
>> I'm wondering if you would be interested to evaluate these changes and how
>> to do it if it could be possible to add them to the original source code.
>> I have still some work to do on it, because some functions are still not
>> implemented and my coding started almost from version 1.1.7 (I cloned the
>> repository a bit before the release of the latest stable) but in the
>> meanwhile new patches have been submitted, so I should also align my code at
>> latest revision.
>>
>> Sincerely.

Ryan (ライアン)
Yoko Shimomura, ryo (supercell/EGOIST), Hiroyuki Sawano >> everyone else
https://refi64.com/