Re: [fluid-dev] Audio files copyrighted.

From: Jim Henry
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Audio files copyrighted.
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2018 01:26:49 -0800

These are just general observations, not legal advice.

I am fairly sure that under U.S. law there is copyright in a MIDI file only to the extent that it represents a creative _expression_. That creative _expression_ would still be present in an audio file, so the copyright would persist. If the MIDI file is a literal translation of a piece of public domain sheet music, then there is no creative _expression_ to copyright. But most MIDI files you would want to make an audio file from have probably had at least some performance type nuances added, such as dynamics, phrasing, etc. That is enough to be a creative _expression_. Making an audio file from a MIDI file is really no different than making an audio file from a recorded performance for copyright purposes.

Hope that helps.