Re: [fluid-dev] SoundFont parameter analysis

From: Garth Hjelte
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] SoundFont parameter analysis
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2018 17:31:41 -0500

At 12:48 PM 6/21/2018, you wrote:

>>Additive, because the spec assumes all times to be in absolute timecents.
>>Soundfont editors however report values in seconds for instrument generators
>>and a multiplicative factor for preset generators. So your calculations are
>>basically correct, but they have to be done in SF2 native units. In case
>>you're fancy for math:
>>seconds = 2^(timecents/1200)
>>Let "tci" be the absolute timecents of the instrument generator and "tcp" the
>>realtive timecents of the respective preset generator:
>>2^( (tci + tcp) / 1200 ) == 2^( tci / 1200 ) * 2^( tcp / 1200 )
>>Where the left hand side is what the spec suggests and the right hand side is
>>my previous showing.

>OK, I get it, thank you very much!

An additional question:

As it turns out my math was correct, but the problem upon further analysis
turns out to be different.

In SweepPad, the ModEnvAtk and ModEnvRel (and some other parameters) have set
values in a Global Zone AND the regular Zone (the one that defines the
Instrument in the Preset). The official SoundFont spec doesn't say anything
about that. Do they add, or does the regular Zone pre-empt Global Zone, or does
the Global Zone pre-empt the regular Zone?

That's actually the wacky thing about this SoundFont.

Garth Hjelte
Sampler User