Re: [fluid-dev] Volume control against a specific midi synth

From: Ceresa Jean-Jacques
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Volume control against a specific midi synth
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2018 01:59:26 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

>A slightly different question, leading on from the above - is there a way to read the names of the instruments from the synth, also read the current volume controls? So basically I'm thinking when I switch from one synth to another my program can read the current settings from qsynth/fluidsynth - my alternative is that when I switch my program re-sends all the volumes and instruments (I've yet to work out how you send select instrument commands to a channel...).

An application (your program) must memorize everything.

1) which soudfonts it had loaded in the synth.

2) which instrument being selected in which MIDI channels (make use of MIDI program change messages to select an instrument in a MIDI channel).

3) which volume being send in this channel (make use of of MIDI cc volume message to send volume value to a MIDI channel).

Instruments names come from soundfont ( preset names) (not the synth). There are soundfont API to retrieve these infos. The wiki document this.

It up to your program to memorize these simple data byte. The job of any synth is only to play musical events, nothing else.

jjc

> Message du 21/06/18 21:27
> De : "Carl Beech" <address@hidden>
> A : address@hidden
> Copie à :
> Objet : Re: [fluid-dev] Volume control against a specific midi synth

Hi Ceresa

Many thanks for your notes - much appreciated...

Ok, with a bit of experimentation, I'm now able to control the volumes of the individual instruments (channels) within a synth... so basically that means my program can now connect/disconnect the keyboard to up to nine individual synths - each of which can have up to eight instruments defined (the first eight channels) - once connected to an individual synth it can then control the volumes of those eight channels... so basically I can create different presets (synths) and once selected I can then control the volume mix within that preset... (hope that makes sense).

Why use different preset synths? - as mentioned, I'm playing live on stage so I don't have time to make major adjustments to volumes on multiple channels, so it'll be easier to just swap to a different synths that have different setups, which means the volume sliders allow me to fine tune while in a song - e.g. have a piano on channel 0, and be able to bring in strong or soft pads etc...

A slightly different question, leading on from the above - is there a way to read the names of the instruments from the synth, also read the current volume controls? So basically I'm thinking when I switch from one synth to another my program can read the current settings from qsynth/fluidsynth - my alternative is that when I switch my program re-sends all the volumes and instruments (I've yet to work out how you send select instrument commands to a channel...)

Hope that all makes sense...

Cheers