Re: [fluid-dev] Again on "Compile time constant lookup tables"

From: Tom M.
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Again on "Compile time constant lookup tables"
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2018 20:48:40 +0200

> the need to save a few KB of RAM is very rare indeed.

Yet, I would prefer if upstream takes care of this topic. I dont want to push
responsibility to someone else.

Also, I prefer Carlo's C tool as it allows to use fluidsynths internal
calculation routines to generate the constexpr tables. Whereas a python script
would probably duplicate the existing implementation.

I see the following two solutions:

1) Use the Preprocessor (#423)
  + fully automatic C90 compliant approach
  - huge memory requirements during compilation (>2GiB)
  - doesnt work for all lookup tables
  - MSVC wont work at all

2) Generate tables once and version control them
  + works for everone
  + works for all lookup tables
  - slighly more maintaining effort
  - "pollutes" the repository if tables are ever to change (highly unlikely
though)

Opinions? Votes?

Tom