Re: [fluid-dev] V2 Chorus/reverb parameter ranges

From: Ceresa Jean-Jacques
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] V2 Chorus/reverb parameter ranges
Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2018 15:18:34 +0200 (CEST)

>I now find that my soundfont has no chorus%
> set, so I get no chorus effect. What's a useful %, and is it best
> applied at the preset leveL?

This is an important question related to reason of Preset Zone (PZ) related to Instrument Zone (IZ):

Sorry for this long answer, hope this will clarify:

Basically, local PZ parameters (generators(PZgen), modulators(PZmod)) are intended to be applied to the SIMILAR local IZ parameters(generators(IZgen), modulatord(IZmod)), in an ADDITIVE way. This way one are able to build a new  preset intended to be a variation of an existing preset without any change to the existing precious IZ (belonging to any existing PZ ).

Details:

- if a PZ's local PZgen exists and a similar local IZgen exists, PZgen's value is added to IZgen's value (for all IZ belonging to this PZ).

- The same is true for modulators: if a PZ's local PZmod exists and a similar local IZmod exists, PZmod's amount value is added to IZmod's amount (for all IZ belonging to this PZ).

Notes: modulators are considered similar when all properties are egal but amount value.

Tricks:

-1) it is possible to cancel the effect of a IZ's local IZmod without any change to this IZ. To do that, PZmod amount value should be negative to cancel the coresponding IZmod amount value.

2) if a IZ's IZmod doesn't exist (i.e send chorus or send reverb) it is possibile to add this modulator without any change to the IZ. To do that, this modulator should be added in the unique PZ's global preset zone. (This could be the short answer to your question).

Cheers.

jjc