Re: [fluid-dev] Trouble building/using fluidsynth

From: Justin
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Trouble building/using fluidsynth
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2018 21:45:38 -0500

Thanks, all!
Tom, you were right, the arguments in my call were not getting used for some reason. I remedied this by taking out the "shell=True" from the call to "subprocess.check_call(fluidsynth_command)". Now the wav file can render!
Now I'm onto trying to get the subsequent conversion from wav to mp3 (using the lame cmd binary) to be quicker, to avoid the lambda timing out.
Thanks!
Justin

On Sat, Dec 29, 2018 at 5:55 AM Tom M. <address@hidden> wrote:
> fluidsynth: error: Device </dev/dsp> does not exists

For some reason fluidsynth starts the OSS audio driver rather than the file
renderer. As if you were calling

fluidsynth_exec/fluidsynth -ni tmp_sf2_file_name tmp_mid_file_name

Make sure your python script doesn't omitt the last two flags. Note that the
correct calling convention for fluidsynth is

fluidsynth [options] [soundfonts] [midifiles]

so it should be:

fluidsynth -ni -F tmp_wav_file_name -r 44100 tmp_sf2_file_name \
tmp_mid_file_name

although this shouldn't matter currently. Passing "-a file" is not necessary.

If it still doesn't work, post the output of

fluidsynth -o help | grep audio

Also note that it's not a good idea to use the recent git version, as it might
be unstable. Prefer stable releases instead.

Tom