Re: [fluid-dev] FluidSynth on embedded platforms, zero boot time?

From: Carlo Bramini
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] FluidSynth on embedded platforms, zero boot time?
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2018 14:50:13 +0100 (CET)

Hello!
yes, I succeded to run FluidSynth on an embedded platform.
I have built a digital piano and I used FluidSynth as a rendering engine.

First of all, I would like to suggest you to read this message:

http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/fluid-dev/2018-11/msg00022.html

with some results from my experiments.

I suggest you to abandon the idea to use things like Arduino and similar, they
are simply not powerful enough. Technically, something like the Raspberry Pi,
even the Zero version, and other single board computers are the best and the
cheapest solution for running FluidSynth.
But as you already noticed, their boot time is very slow, if compared to an
usual microcontroller which is up and running in few milliseconds. I know that
there are some ports of RTOS for the Raspberry Pi, like FreeRTOS, ChibiOS and
eCos, but I never tried them.

It depends on what you want to do: in my project, I did a small board with a
PIC18F25K50 for scanning the keyboard matrix of the piano and provides an USB
port and the legacy MIDI-IN/MIDI-OUT. Then, I could connect to the USB port
with several hosts like a PC or a phone.
I also tried to do some all-in-one solutions, with an embedded ARM Cortex M3 or
a PDA, but I was not able to get decent results, as you could read in the
report that I linked in this email.

So, if the all-in-one is what you want, my suggestion is to try again with a
single board computer (Raspberry Pi is good, but you must also remember to add
an I2S DAC because PWM audio is bad and slow) and try one of the RTOS solutions
currently available. Porting is not difficult, I did some of them (Windows,
DJGPP and others) without much problems. However, if you have some doubts, just
ask.

Sincerely.