freeipmi-devel

[Freeipmi-devel] Re: Using FreeIPMI

From: Anand Babu
Subject: [Freeipmi-devel] Re: Using FreeIPMI
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2004 15:02:15 -0800

Hi Anand,
,----[ address@hidden ]
|     Have built and installed fish-alpha3-qa2 as well as
|     libfreeipmi-0.0.0
`----
Try alpha4-qa0 release. sensors is almost a rewrite. Some known bugs
are fixed.

,----[ address@hidden ]
| Would appreacite it if you could answer the following:
|
| 1. What's the status of libcdcipmi-0.1.1 ? Is it needed as well?
`----
libcdcipmi is required by ipmipower utility. FreeIPMI has its own
ipmi-power utility. But it is not yet a part of release cycle.

So answer is, yes, if you want the old ipmipower utility, you still
need libcdcipmi.

,----[ address@hidden ]
| 2. Does the sensors command require that it be run as root?
`----
Yes, because fish is linked to user-space device driver. Or you can
make fish setuid.

,----[ address@hidden ]
| 3. The sensors command looks for /usr/local/lib/libfreeipmi.so.0 and
| works onloy upon setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH to /usr/local/lib. Is this
| expected behaviour?
`----
Yes this is expected behavior for any library installed on
non-standard path. You can either set LD_LIBRARY_PATH or edit
"/etc/ld.so.conf" and run "ldconfig".

,----[ address@hidden ]
| 4. Does the sensors command need any (motherboard/BMC specific)
| configuration file? If so, what should be contents for SE7501WV2
| server boards?
`----
alpha4-qa0 version of "sensors" has a config file just for
customization. If you want to create your own group aliases.

Otherwise you don't need to pass anything specific to
hardware.

,----[ address@hidden ]
| 5. I see only a "Baseboard Temperature" (#30h), but no temperatures
| for the 2 CPUs. Why?
`----
CPUs are listed as Proc as in Processor. With alpha4 release, UI is
much human readable.

,----[ address@hidden ]
| 6. There's a "Basebrd Fan" (#33h) reported in "degrees celsius" ; what
| is this..? Is it incorrect?
`----
Yes that is correct.

Thanks for the report.