freeipmi-devel

[Freeipmi-devel] Re: Comments on bmc-config specification 2.0

From: Anand Babu
Subject: [Freeipmi-devel] Re: Comments on bmc-config specification 2.0
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 12:50:52 -0800

LATE REPLY!!, This email is relevant to Alpha4 release and above.

,----[ Albert Chu <address@hidden> ]
| 1) We need something that allows us to enable or disable users.  As
| far as I can tell, there is nothing for that.  I am referring
| enabling/disabling users through the set user password command.  I
| think something along the lines of:
|
| # 1 is enable, 0 is disable user1_access 1
|
| Would be suitable.
`----

"No access" does the same.

  ###   values: Reserved = 0, Callback = 1, User = 2, Operator = 3,
  ###           Administrator = 4, OEM proprietary = 5, No access = 15
  userX.user_privilege_level_limit 15

,----
| 2) I think we need an option to set the power restore policy (22.7 in
| the spec).
`----

Implemented. (Alpha4)

,----[ Albert Chu <address@hidden> ]
| 3) With the options related to set user access and set channel access
| (and maybe others), how do we specify the IPMI channel?  Does
| bmc-config always assume the channel is Tiger4 Lan = 0x07??  This may
| be true for current tiger4s, but it could change if Intel makes a
| change in the firmware.  I'm not sure of the best way to handle this.
| Here are several thoughts:
|
|     - --channel-num option on the command line channel_num in the
|     - configuration file.  All configuration after channel_num use
|     - this particular channel number.
`----

Probing of LAN and Serial channels are handled automatically using
"get channel info" API.

,----[ Albert Chu <address@hidden> ]
| 4) All of the "max_privilege_auth_type_X_level.Y" options don't seem
| quite right to me.  Shouldn't they instead be "auth_type_enable" or
| something like that??  We aren't setting the maximum privilege, we're
| enabling authentication types.
`----

auth_type_enable is different option. It is already handled by
"No Access" value for privilege level. This option describes the type
of authentication used. It has multiple values.

Current setting is some what like this:

  ## Values: None = 0, MD2 = 1, MD5 = 2, Straight Password = 3,
  ##         OEM Proprietary = 4
  max_privilege_auth_type_admin_level 3

,----[ Albert Chu <address@hidden> ]
| 5) gratuitous_arp_interval - When you do a --checkout, can we document
| that gratuitous arp interval is in 500 millisecond chunks.  In
| general, can we document units wherever it seems reasonable?
| retry_time and page_blackout_interval seem like good candidates for
| units documentation as well.
`----

Implemented. (Alpha4)

,----[ Albert Chu <address@hidden> ]
| 6) ipmi_messaging_access_mode, user_level_authentication,
| pef_alerting, per message authentication and
| channel_privilege_level_limit seem to be listed twice.
`----

Fixed. (Alpha4)

Happy Hacking,
--