freeipmi-devel

Re: [Freeipmi-devel] few general questions

From: Anand Babu
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-devel] few general questions
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 03:51:34 -0700

,----[ Andrew Ryder <address@hidden> ]
| I have an L440GX+ motherboard (VA linux 2230)
`----
I don't think L440GX+ is IPMI-1.5 compliant. It may be worth trying
FreeIPMI on it. Please report if you have any success.

,----[ Andrew Ryder <address@hidden> ]
| I am wondering what kernel version and patches are required for the
| freeipmi tools. I've had issues with the openipmi on 2.4.26 (applying
| the kernel patches and issues with the ipmi_si module)
`----
You don't need any kernel patches. FreeIPMI works completely from
user-space.

If you already have OpenIPMI drivers loaded, please rmmod them
before you launch any FreeIPMI app.

,----[ Andrew Ryder <address@hidden> ]
| Also, what is the big difference with the freeipmi and openipmi? It
| seems the freeipmi is more engineered towards monitoring than the
| regular ipmi
`----

FreeIPMI is an attempt to implement a complete portable/extensible
Platform Management system based on IPMI 1.5/2.0 specification.

If you visit www.nongnu.org/freeipmi, you can grasp its completeness.

I do not want to comment on OpenIPMI.

--
Anand Babu