freeipmi-devel

Re: [Freeipmi-devel] Re: ipmi sensor thresholds

From: Albert Chu
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-devel] Re: ipmi sensor thresholds
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 09:56:19 -0700

> So it seems that since the fan speed sensor is the only one with an
> undefined upper critical threshold, you have to treat this sensor as a
> special case.

I don't think this needs to be handled by a special case.  The threshold
checking algorithm should be able to work around those values that
aren't defined.  My pseudo-code thinking is along the lines of:

if (reading > nominal)
{
   if (non-critical is defined && reading < non-critical)
       ouptut warning and return
   if (non-critical and critical is defined
       && reading > critical
       && reading < non-critical)
       output critical and return
    else if (non-critical undefined
             && critical defined
             && reading < critical)
       output warning or alert or whatever;
   /* similar for non-recoverable and sensor min/max, but probably
      deeper and more complicated */

   if (nothing is defined except for nominal min/max)
      output unspecified fault
}

The above is just to illustrate my thinking on this, hopefully it makes
sense.  Ab, Ian, is this logically how you're looking at things?

Al

--
Albert Chu
address@hidden