freeipmi-devel

RE: [Freeipmi-devel] Patch for SHA256 Support

From: Al Chu
Subject: RE: [Freeipmi-devel] Patch for SHA256 Support
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 07:47:15 -0700

Hey Holger,

On Thu, 2010-07-29 at 23:25 -0700, Liebig, Holger wrote:

> > Hi Holger,
> >
> > Thanks for the patch.  This was on my todo, but w/o a motherboard to
> > test on, I just let it linger.
>
> Freeipmi was a good counterpart for testing the BMC implementation, if
> only the turnaround times for a make cycle would be shorter ;)

LOL.  Yeah ... the build time has definitely grown in length :P

> > I think you forgot to add the
> > appropriate permutation of cipher suite/SHA256 into
> > libfreeipmi/src/debug/ and the manpages in common/man/, but no worries,
> > I can add that myself.
> >
> > Only one question, are cipher suites 15-17 defined in the upcoming DCMI
> > 1.1?  ASAIK it hasn't been released publicly.  I have a tiny concern
> > about committing something that is not yet finalized.  Or is DCMI 1.1
> > finalized and going to be released publicly soon??
>
> As far as I know, it is supposed to be published end of this month if
> there are no major objections from others. There is no need to commit
> the patch before, I just wanted to let you know that most of the work
> is done and if there is any other feedback it's more than welcome.

Ok.  I'll just hold off for the time being until it's published.  That
way it's sort of "official".

> Only Cipher Suite 17 in the mentioned combination (3/4/1) is mentioned
> in the latest review copy of DCMI 1.1, that's why I skipped the other
> combinations. There seem to be (strong) requests from DCMI customers
> to add a stronger authentication algorithm than HMAC_SHA1, who knows
> why.
>
> Too bad Intel forgot to add the Cipher Suite Numbers into the IPMI 2.0
> errata 4.

That is interesting.  I just assumed there would be a cipher suite 15
and 16.  Given the length of time between erratas, it may take time to
find out.

Thanks,
Al