freeipmi-devel

Re: [Freeipmi-devel] Ubuntu FreeIPMI PPA

From: Kenneth Stailey
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-devel] Ubuntu FreeIPMI PPA
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 09:30:57 -0700 (PDT)

Is anybody using this FreeIPMI PPA?  I can't tell if you are because there are
no statistics published about usage/downloads/etc.  Please let me know if you
find it useful, thanks.

Ubuntu Dapper, Hardy, Jaunty and Karmic do not come with FreeIPMI at all.
Ubuntu Lucid already comes with FreeIPMI 0.8.6.  This PPA will give you
FreeIPMI version 0.8.8 on those five Ubuntu versions.

A PPA is a Personal Package Archive.  It allows anyone to release software that
can be installed via APT.  You have to add the PPA to your Ubuntu system and
then it will automatically download.

The instructions on how to add are posted on the PPA web site
https://launchpad.net/~nutznboltz/+archive/freeipmi

but here they are in a nutshell for recent Ubuntu systems (Karmic and Lucid.)

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:nutznboltz/freeipmi
sudo aptitude update
sudo aptitude install freeipmi

That's it.  This FreeIPMI PPA supports older Ubuntu systems (Dapper, Hardy and
Jaunty) which need:

sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 25FF1146
sudo sh -c "echo deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/nutznboltz/freeipmi/ubuntu/
`lsb_release -cs` main > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/freeipmi.list"