freepooma-devel

Re: [Freepooma-devel] Array::first(int)

From: Richard Guenther
Subject: Re: [Freepooma-devel] Array::first(int)
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 10:20:50 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 7 Apr 2005, ron hylton wrote:

> Array contains a first(int) function that calls engine_m.first(int).
> However first(int) has been eliminated from BrickBase in FreePooma, although
> it still seems to be in BrickViewBase and all the other engines.
>
> It's not immediately clear to me whether the correct fix is to put a
> first(int) back in BrickBase (passing it allong to the domain()) or to
> change Array to always go straight to the domain() and bypass first(int) in
> all the other engines.
>
> Does anyone know why the engines have first(int)?

I guess someone found it a good idea ;)  The thing was to remove the
redundant firsts_m[Dim] member of BrickBase and just use domain[].first()
instead.  If first(int) different from Array.domain()[int].first()
should be supported first(int) can be easily put back to BrickBase -
otherwise putting the shortcut in Array would be better.  In fact, the
testsuite does not excercise first().

Of course, the documentation of Array::first says

  /// @name Short-circuit functions that return information from domain.
  //@{
  inline int first(int d) const

so that suggests it really could be domain()[d].first().

I'll put back first() to BrickBase for r2_branch and figure out what
to do on head.

Thanks,
Richard.

--
Richard Guenther <richard dot guenther at uni-tuebingen dot de>