freepooma-devel

[Freepooma-devel] mixing domain and stride information

From: ron hylton
Subject: [Freepooma-devel] mixing domain and stride information
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 12:28:00 -0400

Hi all.

I just tried to migrate some of my code from the CodeSourcery release to FreePooma and I'm finding that some custom engine types I've written don't work. After some digging I've come to feel that the original behavior was the correct one.

The issue is the separation of domain data and stride data. Domains describes how elements are logically addressed by integers, and strides how the data is physically laid out in specific engines. The original Pooma kept these quite distinct, but I've found places in FreePooma where strides in BrickViewBase are being computed from domain information in BrickBase rather than stride values from BrickBase. I really think BrickViewBase should ask the BrickBase what the strides are and not make assumptions about how domains are mapped to memory.

The four places I've found are

BrickBase<Dim>::restoreStrides()
BrickViewBase::viewInit(const BrickBase<Dim> &bbase, const Interval<Dim> &domain) BrickViewBase::viewInit(const BrickBase<Dim> &bbase, const Range<Dim> &domain) BrickViewBase::sliceInit(const Interval<BaseDim> &baseDom, const SliceRange<BaseDim,Dim> &dom)

I think it's important to keep domain information and physical layout information separate, and I would urge that the original behavior be restored in those four places and any others where similar changes have been made.

Ron