freepooma-devel

RE: [Freepooma-devel] Reviewing thread-safety

From: ron hylton
Subject: RE: [Freepooma-devel] Reviewing thread-safety
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 11:55:05 -0400

Richard,

This isn't an answer to your question but it is thread-safety related :-)

In my applications I use Pooma to solve a large number of uncoupled problems that are individually too small so far to be worth splitting across processors. In this case I would like to be able to use multiple instances of Pooma in independent threads, but this currently doesn't work because of the existence of some global data for scheduling and statistics.

One item on my to-do list is to make an "Object Pooma" that wraps the currently global data so I can instantiate multiple Pooma's. This looks relatively straightforward to me but I have no experience with OpenMP or MPI and I don't know whether these would break if I went down this route.

Does anyone have any views on the feasibility of Object Pooma?

Thanks,
Ron