freeride-devel

[FR-devel] RE: bRuby? (Yet another Ruby parser)

From: Curt Hibbs
Subject: [FR-devel] RE: bRuby? (Yet another Ruby parser)
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 12:32:17 -0800

Phil Tomson wrote:
> >%%
> >%% All three of these seem to modify Matz's Ruby Yacc file and create an
> >%% extension from the resulting c file.
>

> Yeah, I knew about Bob's project.
>
> I guess the point of my question is that there seem to be at least six
> projects out there that are essentially doing the same thing.  Aren't we
> duplicating a lot of effort?  Is there any way we can work
> together on one
> of these parsers and possibly get results quicker?
>
> Bob,
>
> Did you take a look at Ruth and Ripper before you started your project?
> If so how would you say what you are planning is different from those
> projects?
>
> Phil

Bob give his own answer, but since I work closely with Bob (others) on the
FreeRIDE and WxRuby projects I can tell you what I know.

The original motivation for this parser was the FreeRIDE project. The
FreeRIDE IDE needs a fast and accurate Ruby parser to enable some of the
high-end stuff that we want to implement (we are currently using ripper, but
it is using a modified version of the Ruby 1.6 grammar). The goal here is to
put a wrapper around the actual parser that is used by the Ruby interpreter.
The wrapper will have the kind of api that we need and will always be
accurate.

Curt