freeride-devel

[FR-devel] Status

From: Rich Kilmer
Subject: [FR-devel] Status
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 02:53:40 -0500

Team,

The major rewrite of FreeBASE is done...YEAH.  It fixes our load issues
from before in a really big way.

The plugin system is completely rewritten. there is a new
configuration.rb file with config classes that manage computing plugin
startup and load order/ dependencies/ resolve circular dependencies.
The plugin format is now YAML instead of XML.  The readers.rb file
contains the readers for the yaml files.  There is an incomplete reader
for reading the XML formats...this will be  completed so we can switch
back if needed.  core.rb removes a lot of code that is now managed in
the Configuration class.  The plugin.rb file is changed to remove the
parsing of XML and instead leverage the PluginConfiguration class to
hold config data (all dependency management code is also removed from
this class)

The one thing that does not work is if one plugin fails to load/start,
all dependent plugins should also fail to load/start...this currently
does not happen.  I will resolve this tomorrow.  The circular dependency
stuff works great.  If you have one you get an exception that shows you
the circularity like:

A -> B -> D -> E -> C -> A

Nifty.

Anyway...i hope that folks can check this out and it functions.  I will
be avail after 2pm EST tomorrow.

-rich
Rich Kilmer, InfoEther LLC
trap("SIGINT") { raise [104, 101, 108, 108].pack("cccc") }