[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
[ft-announce] Announcing FreeType 2.9
[ft-announce] Announcing FreeType 2.9
Tue, 09 Jan 2018 00:38:28 +0100 (CET)
FreeType 2.9 has been released.
It is available from
The latter site also holds older versions of the FreeType library.
See below for the relevant snippet from the CHANGES file.
PS: Downloads from savannah.nongnu.org will redirect to your nearest
mirror site. Files on mirrors may be subject to a replication
delay of up to 24 hours. In case of problems use
FreeType 2 is a software font engine that is designed to be small,
efficient, highly customizable, and portable while capable of
producing high-quality output (glyph images) of most vector and bitmap
Note that FreeType 2 is a font service and doesn't provide APIs to
perform higher-level features, like text layout or graphics processing
(e.g., colored text rendering, `hollowing', etc.). However, it
greatly simplifies these tasks by providing a simple, easy to use, and
uniform interface to access the content of font files.
FreeType 2 is released under two open-source licenses: our own
BSD-like FreeType License and the GPL. It can thus be used by any
kind of projects, be they proprietary or not.
CHANGES BETWEEN 2.8.1 and 2.9
I. IMPORTANT BUG FIXES
- Advance width values of variation fonts were often wrong.
- More fixes for variation font support; you should update to this
version if you want to support them.
II. IMPORTANT CHANGES
- As a GSoC project, Ewald Hew extended the new (Adobe) CFF engine
to handle Type 1 fonts also, thus greatly improving the
rendering of this format. This is the new default. The old
engine is still available if the configuration macro
`T1_CONFIG_OPTION_OLD_ENGINE' gets defined; using the
`hinting-engine' property of the `type1' driver module you can
then switch between the two engines.
- A new function, `FT_Set_Named_Instance', can be used to set or
change the current named instance.
- Starting with this FreeType version, resetting variation
coordinates will return to the currently selected named
instance. Previously, FreeType returned to the base font (i.e.,
no instance set).
- The `face_flags' field of the `FT_Face' structure has a new bit,
`FT_FACE_FLAG_VARIATION', which is set if a variation font has
been altered with `FT_Set_MM_Design_Coordinates',
- If the current face is a named instance, the new macro
`FT_IS_NAMED_INSTANCE' returns true.
- `FT_IS_VARIATION' is a new macro that returns true whenever a
face object has been altered by `FT_Set_MM_Design_Coordinates',
- Changing the design coordinates of a variation font with
`FT_Set_Var_Blend_Coordinates' does not influence the named
instance index value (only `FT_Set_Named_Instance' does that).
- Special PostScript names for named instances are only returned
if the named instance is set with `FT_Set_Named_Instance' (and
the font has corresponding entries in its `fvar' table). If
`FT_IS_VARIATION' returns true, the algorithmically derived
PostScript name is provided, not looking up special entries for
- A new function `FT_Done_MM_Var' is provided to free the memory
returned in a call to `FT_Get_MM_Var'.
- On platforms using the `configure' script, the installed
`ftoption.h' file now correctly reflects configuration options
- Better support to build FreeType as a DLL on Windows using
- All data specific to driver modules is now collected in a single
file, `FT_DRIVER_H'. Consequently, the macros
`FT_AUTOHINTER_H', `FT_CFF_DRIVER_H', `FT_TRUETYPE_DRIVER_H',
and `FT_PCF_DRIVER_H' still work but are deprecated.
- Some fuzzer fixes to better reject malformed fonts.
- The `ftbench' demo program has a new test for opening a new face
and loading some glyphs.
- The `ftbench' demo program has a new option `-j' to specify the
last glyph index to be used in the tests.
- The `ftgrid' demo program has a new option `-n' to suppress
display of named instances of variation fonts.
- The `ttdebug' demo program can now show a stack trace (key `K')
and switch between hexadecimal and decimal display of integers
|[Prev in Thread]
||[Next in Thread]|
- [ft-announce] Announcing FreeType 2.9,
Werner LEMBERG <=