Re: GPOS support available!

From: Antoine Leca
Subject: Re: GPOS support available!
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2000 19:21:52 +0100

David Turner wrote :

> > I can finally announce that full GPOS support is available! GSUB,
> > GPOS, and GDEF support now complies to OpenType 1.2.
> >
> This is excellent news ! Congratulations. Now, we'll have to make a
> new release (FreeType 1.4 ?).

If we are to make a new release of FT1, I will ask a (small) delay
for it. In exchange, I shall advance Pascal to more or less the same
level as C, the most noticeable exception being the extension
(but if time allows, I will translate Werner's OT support to
some Pascal units, because I may need them).

Under this announce, I intend:
- to assure library and test prgms compile smoothly under BP7.00
- to assure it can compile with TPW 1.x (TP6 is not achievable because
there is too much PChar; former versions lack the integrated assembler)
- to assure it can compile with current versions of FPK
- to assure it handle as many fonts as the C code, as far as I can test

The current tree is not at this level, but it came close (thanks to David).

> Also, do we all agree to switch to the FreeType 2 design after this
> release ? I think it'd be a good thing if you could convert the
> current OpenType Layout extensions into a "pseudo-driver" for FT2.

I agree (understanding that means we are to drop Pascal).

Antoine