Fw: Re: Font scalers -- TrueType

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Fw: Re: Font scalers -- TrueType
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2000 22:02:18 GMT

Another interesting mail (about the history of ATM on OS/2) sent to
the opentype list...

    Werner
--- Begin Message --- Subject: Re: Font scalers -- TrueType Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2000 09:27:52 -0600

I'm afraid I don't know the Adobe release numbers which all of the OS/2
versions of ATM correspond to, but:

ATM was introduced to OS/2 in IBM release 1.3. As all of OS/2 was still
16-bit then, intended to run on 80286 machines, the ATM code was also
16-bit. Over the next several years, various updates from Adobe were
integrated into OS/2. The code was converted to 32-bit code for OS/2 3.0.
(The graphics subsystem had been converted to 32-bit for 2.1, and the
window management subsystem for 3.0). For 4.0 the handling of DBCS fonts
was upgraded to support the CID keyed fonts, and the Adobe code level at
this point was, I believe, capable of Multiple Master support, although
there was no means to expose it through OS/2. Our last ATM code update was
probably somewhere around 1995.

Marc L. Cohen
Internal:address@hidden
Internet:address@hidden
 also at:address@hidden
(512) 838-4757 (T/L 678-4757)
FAX (512) 838-4637 (T/L 678-4637)

Thanks, it was VERY interesting.

One question to you, Greg.

Could you (or may be anybody from Adobe or IBM too) make for us the same
short review of OS/2 ATM from its birth?

Especialy it will be interesting to know the common technical rules how
OS/2
ATM works with complex script fonts like Hebrew, Arabic, Urdu, Thai in
active CP, and about some scpecific OS/2 Type 1 big font's demands (like
OS/2 UGL).
As I remember the OS/2 ATM driver (ATM.dll) makes the recompiling itself
for
replace/add new active glyph list (i. e. Hebrew) from common UGL.

Dmitri.

--- End Message ---