Re: API additions

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: API additions
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 18:50:35 +0200

Hi Stefan,

> David Turner wrote:
>
> > The X11 driver is compiled when one of the following patterns
> > is found in the current path:
> >
> >   X11/bin
> >   X11R5/bin
> >   X11R6/bin
>
> there we go...on my system there is a directory "/usr/bin/X11" which
> is a link to "/usr/X11R6/bin". My PATH only contains the former.

Explains everything :-)

> In general, I don't find this "detection" very useful (the above
> is one reason against it). Why don't you use autoconf's ability to
> detect environmental parameters such as the existance of X11 components ?
> You would get the necessary -I and -L parameters for free !

Well, the build system is a vast improvement for many non-Unix platforms
like Dos, OS/2 and Win32 (By the way, does AutoConf works on BeOS ?). It's
been designed for flexibility and ease of development/porting of the
library (not the demo programs..)

I would love to be able to use Autoconf on Unix, but I'm currently too
busy (or too lazy) to learn it and see how to hook it in the build
process.. It shouldn't be very hard however and any volunteer is welcomed
for the job.. ;-)

Note also that FT2 can already be compiled with libtool with minor
changes to "config/unix/unix-gcc.mk", for those interested by this..

Cheers,

- David